VRA Decides On Akosombo Spillage Today
The Volta River Authority says a final decision to open the spillways of the Akosombo Dam would be taken at a scheduled meeting today, Wednesday October 27. Although the outcome is unknown, the Authority is optimistic that communities living along the Volta Lake would be adequately informed and aided to move to higher grounds if the spillage is inevitable. The water level of the dam has increased to its all-time high in 20 years, making spillage the only alternative for the VRA. Gertrude Koomson, Head of Public Affairs at VRA told Citi News the Authority is still monitoring the water levels and would give a five-day notice to communities along the banks if the final decision is taken at the meeting. “We are still monitoring the situation; we are monitoring the rate of rise. We have seen decrease and a few times, it is gone up unexpectedly but we are still monitoring. In case the decision is taken that we will spill, we will definitely give the communities ample time to relocate”. “We have told them earlier that we will give them an advance notice of at least five days so that they would be able to relocate if the need arises. NADMO is also on stand-by, we are working with the District Assemblies and we have visited the communities. We don’t anticipate that the spillage will cause much damage because it would be done in a regulated manner” she emphasized. ?