Railway Workers Call Off Strike
Railway Workers Call Off Strike Website
The Accra branch of the striking railway workers have called off their almost two-month strike. They say they are resolved to resume work immediately. Their counterparts at Takoradi have however remained adamant, and vowed to continue the strike. The leader of the Accra workers, Mr. Alex Boateng told Joy News that the decision to go back to work was informed by the intervention of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Roads Transportation. He said the involvement of the Trades Union Congress (TUC), also provided an opportunity for a dialogue that would adequately address the concerns of the workers. Mr. Boateng said the workers were expecting a directive from the Interim Management Committee of the workers asking them to resume work. The Chairman of the IMC, Mr. Francis Dadzie said he had been trying to convince the workers at Takoradi to return to work. He said if the workers refused to go back to work, the National Labour Commission could go to court as planned to compel them to resume work. The Public Affairs Director of the NLC, Mr. Mohammed Affum said the commission will go to court if the IMC remained intransigent. He said if the IMC called of the strike before March 31, 2008, the NLC would go to court and discontinue the process. The NLC had indicated it will seek a court order to compel the workers to go back to work. The railway workers have been striking for the past two months demanding unpaid salaries and improved conditions of service. They are also demanding a 150 per cent salary increase and the resignation of the Managing Director of the Ghana Railway Company, Mr. Rufus Quaye.