PAC Expresses Shock At Renewal Of Sea Protection Contract
PAC Expresses Shock At Renewal Of Sea Protection Contract Website
Members of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament have expressed shock that a contract awarded Yiadom Builders Limited for the continuation of the Sakomono Coastal Protection Project had been renewed against its recommendation. The contractor has completed only 10 percent of the 600- meter sea protection project awarded in 2004 that was expected to be completed within five months. Mr Samuel Sallas-Mensah, Chairman of the PAC who led the Committee to inspect ongoing government projects in the Tema Metropolis on Tuesday, said committee members were surprised that the Ministry of Works, Housing and Water Resources, had renewed the contract after the committee, Parliament and Mr Hackman Owusu-Agyeman, former Minister of Water Resource, Works and Housing had recommended that the contract should be terminated and the mobilization fee refunded by the contractors. Mr Mensah, Member of Parliament for Upper West Akyem, said instead of terminating the contract, the ministry ordered a revaluation leading to the appreciation of the total cost of the contract, GH¢660 million, by GH¢260 million. Mr Enoch Teye Mensah, Member of Parliament for Ningo/Prampram, said he was shocked and annoyed at the work done so far adding that the contractor did not deliver on their promise. Mr Hubert Osei-Wusuansa, Project Engineer who conducted the committee members round, said the contractor abandoned the project after receiving the mobilization fee and that they failed to deliver even after the extension of the five months to 10 months. Mr Osei-Wusuansa said the contractor was given the contract because they had the equipment and staff. At Community 18, Lashibi, Mr Wise Ametepey, Head of Drainage of the Hydrological Service Department, led the committee to inspect a GH¢160 million drainage expansion project. Mr Ametepey said the first phase of the project, which started in 2004, had been completed but the second phase has not started due to lack of funds. He said the project was designed to widen and deepen the drainage to collect flood waters from Communities 18, 19 and 20 into the Sakumo Lagoon. Mr Ametepey said 3.5 kilometers stretch of the drainage with six culverts were completed last year and that though the project was not fully completed, flooding in the three communities had been minimised.