Egypt condemns Israeli raids into Gaza
Egypt condemns Israeli raids into Gaza Website
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry denounced an Israeli incursion into the Gaza Strip that killed 19 Palestinians and wounded 45 others earlier in the day. The Israeli raids targeting Palestinians in Gaza not only violated the international humanitarian law but also fuelled tension in the region, Egypt's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossam Zaki said in a press release. The spokesman urged Israel to stop such practices that only lead to the deterioration of the situation. Zaki also urged the Palestinian militants to stop rocket attacks against Israel as such operations only give Israel an excuse to launch military actions against the Palestinian people. According to an earlier report, Israeli forces backed by tanks and bulldozers killed 17 Palestinians and wounded 45 others in an incursion into Zeitoon neighborhood on Tuesday in eastern Gaza City. Two more Palestinian militants were killed on Tuesday evening in an Israeli airstrike in the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun, medics and witnesses said. Meanwhile, Israel Radio reported that one rocket launched from Gaza hit the town of Sderout and wounded at least five Israelis, and a status of emergency was declared in the town.