NDC, NPP At Wach Other’s Throat Over Presidential Jet
NDC, NPP At Wach Other’s Throat Over Presidential Jet Website
Leading members of the National Democratic Congress and the New Patriotic Party are tearing at each other over what they claim are falsehoods emanating from the two camps over government’s decision to acquire two executive jets.
While the NDC caucus in Parliament, led by Minority Leader, Alban Bagbin, says there is evidence indicating the government of Ghana has already committed itself to a contract to purchase two luxury executive jets before approaching Parliament for approval, Dr. Anthony Akoto Osei, Minister of State at the Finance and Economic Planning Ministry says the NDC are only being mischievous.
Alban Bagbin who spoke on behalf of his colleagues at a press conference on Tuesday, said the government had already paid five percent of the bill for the two jets and indicated he and his colleagues will object to and resist attempts to secure approval for the deal.
According to Bagbin, the payment structure of a sale contract signed by Anthony Akoto Osei on February 13, 2008, on behalf of the Government for the jets stipulated that five percent of the value would be paid upon signature.
He said the payment plan for the contract, which involves the withdrawal of monies from the Consolidated Fund without parliamentary approval, contravenes Articles 178 and 181 of the 1992 Constitution.
“The payment is therefore unconstitutional and unlawful,” he said.
Bagbin also faulted the government over claims that a loan contract from the Societe Generale was to finance the purchase of a 12-seater Falcon jet (one of the two presidential jets), saying only 85 percent of the total cost of 46.15 million dollars would be covered by the loan.
“Of the remaining 15 percent, five percent has already been paid. The remaining 10 percent is to be financed from the Consolidated Fund of Ghana in 15 months time,” he insisted.
But in a sharp rebuttal, Dr. Akoto Osei says Bagbin and his colleagues do not know what they are talking about and are up to some mischief.
He told Citi FM that the document he signed on February 13, 2008, stipulated per an explicit clause that the sales contract would come into force only after parliamentary approval and it was unfortunate of the NDC leaders to have flagged only a section of a 33-page document and make wrong, categorical statements from it. He wants them to withdraw the claim that some payment has already been made.
“Our position is very simple. It’s unfortunate, very unfortunate that the NDC would hold a press conference without anyone of them, brilliant people, checking on all the facts. If they didn’t have the information the least they could have done was ask for it.”
He said the government would shame the NDC if they claim they have any facts to support their allegation.