Ghana flag at http://www.allghanadata.com

Opoku Ware Senior High School


Mates Find Mates External LinkVisit Website  

Motto:

 Deux Lux Scienteae

Popularly Called:

Owass

Read: 2032 Times

Physical Address:

Kumasi

Postal Address:

 P. O. Box 849

City:

  Santasi, Kumasi

Region/Province: Ashanti

Country: Ghana

Submited: 08/06/2007 00:00

Last Updated:

21/06/2007 09:12

Last Viewed:

26/11/2014 22:01

Phone:

+233 51 23512,

Contact Person:

Mr. Stephen Anokye Mr. Stephen Anokye

Email:

Opoku Ware Senior High SchoolApply Now Click to Email

Region:

Ashanti

District:

Kumasi Metro

Program:

Science, Business, Arts, Computing, Maths and Languages

Control:

Government

Gender:

Established in:

1951

Information:

In Retrospect
There was no Government Secondary school anywhere in Ashanti even up to 1945. Boys and girls of this region whose parents could afford the cost of secondary schools. This meant that members of the catholic church who wished to have their children educated in accordance with catholic traditions had to send them to St. Augustine's college or Holy child college, both in cape coast. The need o a catholic secondary school was therefore greatly felt both by the clergy and laity of the Catholic Church.

Agitations
The years after 1945 saw a lot of agitation for catholic Secondary Schools in Ashanti . The catholic elite in the Church in Kumasi called on the Bishop to make a start if the Government was not ready to give the church a school. The Bishop of his part, wrote several letters and held several consultations with the Director of Education, Gold Coast ( Ghana ) in order to impress upon him the need for Catholic Secondary Schools.

Roman Catholic Mission College
At long last. God answered the prayers of his people. At a meeting held on January 31, 1951, by the top officials of the Education in Department, a decision was taken to build for the church a Roman Catholic Mission Secondary School. The Government was to provide all the funds for the building of the school. The school was meant for 360 students with a possible expansion to the sixth form. It was to be developed according to a ten-year Development plan, and the final cost was estimated at 250,000 (500,000.00) cedis.

On July 14, 1951, the tender Notice for the construction of the school building appeared in the Gold Coast Gazette notice No. 1308. An expatriate constructing firm, known as Fry, Drew and co. was awarded the contract to build classrooms, dormitories, laboratories, administration block and staff bungalows. Through the initiative of Nana Antwi-Boasiako and the late Asafohene (Akwamuhene), the chiefs and people of Odeneho Kwadaso and Fankyenebra (Baworo) provided the Catholic Church with a parcel; of land for the school.


Opening
The first batch ff 70 students arrived at the school originally called Yaa Asantewaa College which later changed to Opoku Ware Secondary School that same year on February 22, 1952. The Pioneer headmaster was Rev. Peter Philip Burgess, and the other members of staff were Mr. Amoabeng, Mr. Anane-Agyei, Mr. Twimasi-Ankrah and Mr. Baffoe. The first dormitory was St. Paul and the flat attached served both as the Headmaster's residence and an office. Of the numerous problems which faced the school, the most serious were water and electricity. However, with great determination and indomitable courage, Rev. Burgess who laid the strong foundations on which the school stands today, forged ahead and made the best of a bad situation.

The first batch of 70 students arrived at the school, originally called Yaa Asantewaa College, in 1952. The name was changed to Opoku Ware School that same year on February 22, 1952.

The pioneer Headmaster was Rev. Peter Philip Burgess, and the other members of staff were Mr. Amoabeng, Mr. Anane-Agyei, Mr. Twumasi-Ankrah and Mr. Baffoe. The first dormitory was St. Paul, and the flat attached to the dormitory served as both the Headmaster's residence and an office.

About the School
There was no government secondary school anywhere in the Ashanti Region even up to 1945. The youth of the region whose parents could afford the cost of a secondary education had to travel south across the River Pra in order to attend secondary schools.

This meant that members of the Catholic Church who wished to have their children educated in accordance with Catholic traditions had to send them to St. Augustine's College or Holy Child College, both in Cape Coast. The need for a Catholic Secondary was therefore greatly felt both by the Clergy and Laity of the Catholic Church.

The years after 1945 saw a lot of agitation for Catholic Secondary Schools in Ashanti . The Catholic elite in Kumasi called on the Bishop to make a start if the Government was not ready to give the Church a school. The Bishop on his part, held several consultations with the Director of Education, Gold Coast (Ghana), to impress upon him the need for Catholic Secondary Schools.

Roman Catholic Mission College
These efforts soon bore fruition. At a meeting held on January 31, 1951, by the top officials of the Education Department, a decision was taken to build a Roman Catholic Mission Secondary School. The Government was to provide all the funds for the building of the school. The school was initially meant for 360 students with a possible expansion to the Sixth Form. It was to be developed according to a ten-year Development Plan, and the final cost was estimated at 250, 000 pounds sterling.

On July14, 1951, the Tender Notices for the construction of the school building appeared in the Gold Coast Gazette Notices No. 1308. An expatriate construction firm, Fry, Drew and Company was awarded the contract to build classrooms, dormitories, laboratories, and administration block and staff bungalows.

Through the initiative of Nana Antwi-Boasiako and the Asafohene (Akwamuhene), the chiefs and people of Odeneho Kwadaso and Fankyenebra (Baworo) provided the Catholic Church with a parcel of land for the school.

Expansion
A great deal of expansion took place between 1952 and 1958. By 1955 the school had six dormitories, ten classrooms, three science laboratories, an administration block, dining hall and kitchen library and 17 staff bungalows. Student population stood at 450.

A Sixth Form Department was started in 1958, to provide courses in both the Arts and Sciences. A Cadet Corps was also formed in 1960.

Opoku Ware School had taken its rightful place among the elite Secondary Schools started in Ghana, and even by 1960, there was every indication that future really looked bright. Agreat deal o expansion took place between 1952 and 1958. By 1955 the school had six dormitories, ten classrooms, three science laboratories to cater for physics, chemistry and biology. It also had an administration block, dinning hall and kitchen, library and 17 staff bungalows. The student population stood at 450. A sixth form Department was started in 1958, to provide course in both the Arts and Science.


Opoku Ware School Today
Opoku Ware School has been lucky in the caliber of Headmasters it has had since it started in 1952. They have been men of good will, dedication, selflessness, honesty and integrity; men whose great concern have been the physical expansion, moral and high academic standard of the school they administer as Headmasters.

Currently the number of staff is 61, including the Headmaster and two assistants. There is a School Chaplain and a full-time school nurse. The Accounts section of the Administration is handed by a Senior Bursar assisted by 5 Bursars and other Junior Accounts Clerks. The Catering Section is headed by a domestic bursar and assisted by a matron.

The student population now is 1277 and age range is between 11 and 18 years. The students are housed in 8 dormitories. We have 36 classrooms, 3 science laboratories, 2 libraries, a Science Resource Center, Computer Department, a Language Laboratory and a French Teaching Center.
There are 36 staff bungalows, a block of 8 flats and quarters for junior administrative staff, cooks and pantry boys, staff canteen, a chapel, a dining hall and a sick bay. The school offers, science, arts, business and agriculture. The school has an enviable academic record and the disciplinary standard is high.

Our examination results are always amongst the best in the country. We were also the runners up in the 1995 Brilliant Science and Mathematics Quiz Competition, and champions in 1997. More than 8149 people have passed out of the school since its inception. Some of the alumni serve in various capacities both at home and abroad as justices of the courts, lawyers, professors, engineers, medical officers, pharmacists, teachers and consultants.

Leave your comment



Code Image  New Code